CEO Corner: Publicize Your Book at Speaking Engagements and Watch Sales Sky Rocket
What credibility you have now that you have authored a book! Congratulations! Now you can act as your own book publicist and increase your book sales in no time. You are not only an author, but an authority, an expert and to some, an intellect. People’s ears will start to perk up around you; now is the time to use that leverage to your advantage. Many more doors than you could ever imagine will start to open for you, one of which is becoming your own book publicist.
Who better to sell yourself and your book than you? What you have in front of you is the opportunity to enter into a winning cycle – and stay in it. Most authors speak to promote their books while most speakers become published to build credibility and to be able to sell products, thus increasing their revenues. Wearing both hats will benefit you greatly.
If you keep this winning cycle going, you will bring in a pretty penny. As a matter of fact, according to a survey conducted by The National Speakers Association, 46% of speakers received more than 50 extra speaking engagements since publishing their book. Wow! Interested now? Of course you are. You know an excellent opportunity when you see it. But you may not know how to get started. That is where I come in. Let me help you get your winning cycle started and show you how to keep it spinning:
- Get started by speaking for free (only at first) at organizations such as Rotary Clubs, Kiwanis and other non-profit organizations.
- Create a 1-page promotional tip sheet that includes your biography and/or portfolio and any other information you deem necessary. This document should also include information about your book, making it easy to send ahead to meeting planners and event organizers.
- Have the organization or corporation you are speaking for provide you with:
- Written, audio or video testimonials/endorsements of your speaking engagement with them.
- Introductions to at least two other organizations or corporations that would benefit from booking a speaking engagement with you.
- The opportunity to sell your book in the back of the room.
Many authors and speakers make an excellent living by speaking for free while selling their books and/or other products in the back of the room. You can easily become one yourself. You deserve it, so what are you waiting for?